Tuesday, December 19, 2006

'Tis The Groundhog Season

I love writing Christmas cards. I love buying them. I like everything about the whole damn process. This year, we elevated the experience to a new level and made our own cards, thank you Shutterfly. We live in the desert, so what better picture to adorn the front of a card than a bedecked cactus.

Yeah, you're thinking "Like that hasn't been done before" to which I would respond, "Shut the fuck up." Anyway, back to my story of Christmas cheer. We spent a Saturday afternoon averting park patrol in the Phoenix zoo, searching for that perfect cactus Christmas card cover. We'd skulk around looking for a Saguro, making sure there were no nearby observers before we unloaded two grocery bags of decorations.

After much deliberation, we decided on a picture and I ordered 30 cards for the holiday. Even if I had free reign to all 30, I'd have to omit some people from the distribution list. The friend guillotine rears its ugly head.

The cards finally arrived last week and they were perfect. I might have squealed once or twice when I saw them.

Michael: So how many cards do you think you'll need?
Chris: I thought you were sending them.
Michael: I am. For my friends. How many do YOU need?
Chris: One. Wait. Maybe two.
Michael: What about your grandmother, brother, parents...
Chris: Okay. Three. Why are we sending cards again?
Michael: Because it's important to stay in touch.
Chris: Uh-huh. Can you address mine?

His cards are still sitting on his desk, untouched. So if any of his friends happen to read this, please know that Chris means well. He is just communicationally-card challenged. You'll eventually get one, it just may be Groundhog's Day by the time he mails them.

6 Comments:

Blogger jacob henry said...

sounds like my house, and i'm in Chris' shoes this time. . . only, i'm the only one with any design sense, so i have to make the cards. i just have no desire to send any out. . .

5:26 PM  
Blogger Cian Brown said...

I love it! I think a bejeweled tumbleweed would have made a nice addition. ;P

12:38 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

I thought we were the couple who occasionally send out Christams cards( I think the last time was oh, 6-7 years ago). So I didn't buy any. Of course, Tuesday the husband springs the, "I bought some cards to send out, do you need any?" To which I replied, "What?" "Um, No, everyone has been bad this year!"

They really haven't, I just don't like not being prepared.

2:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to forget me this year...again? You know who I am.

2:54 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chris-Another example of you and John have the same personality. I wrote 120 of our cards and asked him to write the 6 to people that he put on the list who I have never met.
Dear random stranger,
Merry Christmas.
Marf

7:27 PM  
Blogger someone said...

got my card with some frigging awesome awesome pictures!!!

THANK YALL so much!!!!

2:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home