Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving with the Walkers

Tomorrow, Chris and I fly back to the East coast to spend the first holiday together with our respective families. We’ve been a couple for two years now, but have always celebrated the holidays apart. Maintaining separation around the holidays is the only way I’ve deluded Chris into thinking my family is (somewhat) sane.

We’ve recently become addicted to ABC’s Sunday night drama, “Brothers & Sisters”, in part because it reminds me so much of my own family dynamics: In the Walker family, no secret can be kept for longer than one episode, steel-plated body armour is a preferable substitute for thick skin, and drinking at any hour is the only acceptable breach of etiquette.
Can I get an Amen?

We've got two nights with his parents.
One night with mine.
And one night in a hotel to decompress.
Gobble. Gobble.

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hope your turkey day is fun-
have a good time with the boyfriend
wish i could spend the break with mine :-/

8:10 PM  
Blogger Cian Brown said...

OMG! We love Brothers & Sisters, too. What a brilliant slice of American television.
We, too, will be spending the Holidays with my family. Should be a eye-opener! Happy Turkey Day to you & yours...and Happy Holidays, too.

6:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh yea, the decompression chamber will come in very handy. Hubby and I have been going through some difficult family "sorting outs" lately. It's just crazy sometimes. I understand, I'm there with you, and I'll be thinking about you! Good luck.

2:30 PM  
Blogger Jim said...

Amen! I watch it too, because like you, I can relate to the family. They are spot on in so many episodes, it's uncanny.

Happy Thanksgiving! Just remember alcohol makes the family much smoother.

4:51 PM  
Blogger Darin said...

gobble gobble, indeed!

Happy Turkey Day, Turkey!

7:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home