Monday, April 24, 2006

My First Real Prom

I only went to one prom in high school. It wasn't even a prom. It was a military ball. And my date's name was Riel Morgiwitz. My parents are still convinced that she was Jewish, eventhough her family sat on the other side of the church from us at 10am mass every Sunday. Perhaps they were Jewish spies. My brother and sister renamed her "Morgabeast". I didn't think she was that unattractive. Although her dress looked like drapes.
This weekend the business school had a Spring semi-formal and Chris flew up to attend. He didn't have to- I've become a pro at going to these things stag. But secretly, I wanted him there. I'm sure this event was as exciting to him as crucifixion, but he's adept at reading me and knew his presence was important. My reasons are selfish, but we're all guilty of needing some validation every now and then.
So what if I wanted to show him off? I wanted people to meet the story I've built up for the last year and a half. I wanted people to put the name with the face. I was waiting for someone to hit on him. I wanted to see what it felt like to be a couple amongst other couples. (It was nice.) I wanted him to be comfortable. I was hoping he'd get drunk. I loved watching him smile. I could have watched that smile all night. I tried to catch his eye from across the room. I think I did a couple of times... when he wasn't staring at Courtney's husband. I was determined to get a picture of him in that new suit. But secretly, I was just as determined to get him out of it.


Before and After

8 Comments:

Blogger Chris said...

Good thing I didn't wear that same flowery dress... that would have been very awkward.

5:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

awwwww!

All that trouble to get that suit, glad it was worth it!

Love Ya loads

ViX
xxx

2:18 PM  
Blogger Tay Hota said...

awwww, no, I think she was cute... and Riel too!

8:31 AM  
Blogger Tay Hota said...

Chris over Riel any day.... seems you've lived and learned...

11:01 AM  
Blogger Rey Rey said...

OMG, I never made the connection between you and Chris... I read both of you religiously. And dang, little did I know, there was a connection...

And frankly, Chris in a flowery dress would have been def something...

11:21 AM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

God, you're a cute couple. The second pic, not the first one, with the drapes on. The totally cute number in the suit, I adore.
Sigh..
love,
DEL

11:23 PM  
Blogger A Bear in the Woods said...

no offense to the chick, but you've definitely come up in the world.
What a smile!

10:31 PM  
Blogger Kelicious said...

She was still prettier than my prom date!

4:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home