Tuesday, January 10, 2006

You Can Never Go Home

I have officially been letting my mind atrophy since mid-December. The heaviest reading I've tackled was the user manual for my digital camera. I have spent the last month with Chris here in Atlanta and it's nice to feel back in a familiar place.
What has changed, unfortunately, is the old life I had when I lived in the ATL. Granted, I'm a visitor to this city now and the responsibilities of a relationship leave me less spontaneous and care-free then I once was. That's understood. However, my relationships with close friends here have changed in a way I wasn't expecting. You know, I've been to this city many times in the last two years and have always carved a night on each trip to hang with the boys. One night affords you time to reminisce, crack jokes, and live in the past for a bit. However, I've been back for a couple of weeks. After our first night of reminiscing, I've begun to realize that these guys have two years of experiences that I haven't been around for. They've had two years to make new stories and develop new friends that I've never met. Hey- I'm not crying for the past, but I now get the phrase that "you can never go home". I guess I need to stop trying to resurrect the old life and just re-define the one I'm living.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rey Rey said...

It's always so hard to return to a place that was once "comfortable" or even what we once considered "home". The initial catharsis dissipates when reality sets in and we realize that while we were gone, life continued without us.

And that's a great way of looking at it... Moving forward instead of holding onto a truth which might not be true anymore.

8:21 PM  
Blogger jacob henry said...

sorry Atlanta left you with mixed feelings. . . but it seems like you enjoyed the island.

enjoy the last semester of school. you can't really go back there again, either. (although finding a new excuse to go back to school seems like a fun pasttime.)

2:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home